Monday, March 16, 2009

The new baby goat

So my Saturday turned out nothing like I had envisioned. I had big plans of saddling my sweet little Poco filly and riding with the kids on Chico. Jeremy had lots to do and was riding like usual to catch up on some days he has missed on the outside horses. Well, I woke up grumpy as can be with a wicked sore throat. The wind was howling all night and I wound up sleeping on the couch cause I don't think our drafty bedroom was helping me sleep. This poor old house is so challenged and still needs lots of TLC. The wind comes down out of the north and right into this canyon and that side of the house has taken a beating over the years. Anyhow, back to my day. Being a grump I didn't want to deal with the kids and them fighting over the ONE horse so I just puttered around. Jeremy was saddling Chico for Sage and Steele and I were getting ready to make sure the gate was unlocked for some company that was coming to bring me berry plants! As we were leaving the house we passed by the goat pen and noticed one of the really young goats had a foot hanging out of her. JEEZ! She shouldn't be pregnant!!! She is so small I knew she would need help. So I drove my little golf cart over and got my rope and then figured I had better get help. Mike and Paul were both here and Jeremy also came over. Great guys! THey stopped everything they were doing to come and help me and my poor damsel goat.

The darn thing is almost as big as her! It was not an easy delivery on the poor girl. Her pelvis was just too small but we got him out and they are both doing fine. I had to milk her and bottle feed him the first couple of time since it took her awhile to be able to stand steady.


No comments: