Monday, March 2, 2009

Getting Diamond's halter off

Sorry about the crappy picture. All I had was my phone today. And I had so many cool moments to take pictures of. Anyhow, this is what else we were up to today. About a week ago we got an email from a client about a friend/aquaintence's mustang mare that had her halter cutting into her face. He had adopted her about two years ago at the local BLM adoption. The gal that contacted us was so upset and I asked "where is this horse?" As she told me I remembered I have seen this horse dragging the lead rope for a long time and always wishing somehow Jeremy could help the horse. She lives on a road I travel frequently. I figured the owner just didn't know what to do. It is very hard not to be judgemental in situations like this but the mare was in good flesh and he had good intentions. He just didn't have the know how he needed for the situation to be successful. So the day I got the email I happened to be with Jeremy and told him what was going on and I asked him if I could volunteer him (since of course the owner had no money to pay) to go over and get the halter off. I knew he would say yes but I felt better asking him since it could have been a dangerous situation. You never know. It took about two hours and he was able to cut the halter off of her. We had stopped at the tack store and bought some bandage scissors so it would be safer to not cut her. It was really neat to watch (through the rain on the windshield!) he was able to touch her finally and the owner thought it pretty neat. As soon as the halter fell off of her face you could just see her sign and let down. Jeremy worked with her a bit more and got his rope off of her and left the pen. It is so neat that I get to first hand witness things like this. I always try and tell Sage to watch what Daddy is doing hoping she will see what I see. That mare never took her eyes off Jeremy even as we got in the car and were driving away she watched the car go...............I wish we could save them all but at least we can make a small difference.

No comments: