Monday, October 5, 2009

Working on the tack room

This is the tack room that is across the creek by the arena. Do you notice anything that repeats itself in this picture?

Okay, fine I will tell ya. You have to look real close but my husband like to tie knots. I am not kidding, if there is baling twine, a wad of horsehair, leather strips, anything he can tie he will make some sort of something out of it. I think it is called the fiador knot he puts them on everything, I will check with him when he comes in but right now he is too busy putting a new roof on this tack room that he through up last year. You see we had a special visitor last year about this time (we are missing you Martin!) and he really wanted his gear to have a place to be properly hung up. See we don't like to rush into things around here and usually there is some sort of deadline that makes us complete (or sort of) projects.

There was a big sale at Harbor Freight in town last weekend and my dad must kinda likes Jeremy or something because he found a solar panel kit in the sale flyer and wanted to get it for him so he could put lights out on his arena. Would have been handy last Spring when we were branding some cattle into the pitch dark hours when I distinctly remember having to play ground crew in my nice jeans, of which I usually only have one pair at a time. Oops, that kinda resembles whining doesn't it? Ah well anyhow, the solar panels must be mounted on a high spot and this roof has been elected. First he must reinforce it and repair it and all that good jazz.


The kids headed out to the creek to collect rocks for their rock store that will be located on the tack room porch much to Jeremy's delight........
Steele got tired trying to carry a bucket full of rocks (insert snickering from Momma here!) and decided to sit down in his bucket. Priss just loves the kids and takes any chance to maul him.



See that hill in the background. This morning that is where a lone coyote stood casing the joint. Jeremy and Steele were in town picking up a few things while Sage and I were here. I went out to see what the dogs were barking at and there he was. Jesse, our one eyed dog is the only one smart enough to do anything about it while the other idiots just stood around barking. I yelled at him a few times but you must realize the house is pretty far across the creek from here and he kinda just gave me the finger and kept looking for something to eat. So I decided I had better do something about it. The only gun that was here that I am comfortable with was Jeremy's .45 so I come running in the house to grab it, meanwhile Sage is watching Swan Lake, she barely looks up to see I am leaving the house with a gun to say "what are you doing Mom?" I head out to the driveway and fire a shot into the hillside just to scare him off. He was way too far to shoot with that gun and besides I just can't do it unless I actually caught him doing something. I comfort all the sissy dogs that are now cowering on the porch under chairs and come back in the house to put the gun away and take notice that Sage hasn't even taken her eyes off of her movie. I guess it is just another day around the ranch to her!


1 comment:

Shirley said...

This story and the story in the post below sure bring home how the world has gone astray, your kids are normal to me, but a city mom would be aghast that you even own a gun. (Says me, proud owner of two!)