Sunday, December 27, 2009

I be a bonehead sometimes......

I have been a busy girl around here lately. I have worked four days this past week away from home. I am freaking loving it but it is hard not being around for the stuff that normally I do. Christmas Eve for example. I got the call from the doc in the morning asking if I could work later that afternoon. "Yes!" I quickly say. Jeremy already had clients scheduled to come. I had planned on making cookies for Santa with the kids. I needed to dress and get the kids ready to go to a dinner at my good friends house that night. Which we go to every year and I was really looking forward to it.......and all the preparations. Not that I am complaining. Not by any means am I complaining. I am just, well we all are just making adjustments.
So there I was showing my little miss mommy girl where the clothes they were to wear are. Telling her to make sure she listens good so she can tell Daddy this stuff later.
Curling her hair, making mac and cheese (fresh from scratch, I swear!), discussing the state bird, tree, flower, ect with Sage, all while Jeremy was outside giving his lessons.
When it was time for me to leave I ran Steele outside to Jeremy, which the clients helped to watch. Locked my Prissy in the tackroom so she wouldn't stow away in the truck with me. She is having a tough time adjusting to me being gone too.
I was to drive to the docs house, stock the truck and drive it to the call and meet the doc. He was coming from another town and it just worked out better that way time wise.
It was Christmas Eve after all!
Seems a big ol sweet draft/paint horse had been run into something by the other horse and tore a huge gash in his chest. Muscle hanging out and all. It was quite impressive to watch the doc sew him up pretty as could be. Good as new some would say.

This bunch of vagrants were begging for an easy meal. Punks.
Jeremy was out riding the other day and I ran up to the top of the property to take pictures.
This is some of our cattle hanging out, soaking up the sunshine.

I didn't make it in time to get a closer picture so this is all I can share.
You can see the tracks from people driving down into our property (mostly dirtbikers), thinking they are doing no harm. Driving right by the no trespassing signs I have hung. I have a hard time with city mentality. I think everyone should have to take a course in country etiquette. I am not sure who would teach it, I am just sayin......
some things you just don't do.
On a lighter note. I thought you would all like to hear a funny story.
My wonderful, kind and understanding husband comes upstairs to tell me the doc had called this morning and needed me again. I just want to make note of him being so darn thoughtful and understanding of this new job of mine. Demanding I drop and run usually on last minutes notice. I mean let's face it, most of the calls are not scheduled ahead of time. They just happen when they happen and I must run. He took over once again and away I went.
I met the doc at his house and away we went to way East Palmdale for what turned out to be one of our clients also. The horse had a puncture wound right over a joint and possibly had affected the tendon. We took radio graphs, cleaned it up, sewed it and bandaged it.
We headed off to Lancaster to develop the x-rays and meet up with doc's family. They had other plans for the rest of their day and I was to drive their other car back to their house.
Well, doc is also on the volunteer fire department so all his vehicles are equipped with lights, CD's and best of all sirens. At the time I did not know the family car was also equipped with all of these fun things.
So away I go heading back to Rosamond. I called Jeremy to see where they were and what they were up to. The kids both got new bikes for Christmas and they were at the park riding them. Sage's bike didn't have training wheels and I thought that was going to be a problem. Turns out after about 30 minutes with Daddy's help away she went. I was kind of bummed to have missed her take off by herself for the first time. But I was on my way, and I guess I can't be there for all the "firsts". There I was on the freeway, I didn't even so much as turn on the radio. I just felt like it would be disrespectful to mess with everything when all I was supposed to do is drive the car back and unload the x-ray equipment. So there I was, peacefully driving along and I hear an alarm going off. I am looking all over the car at what could possibly be making the noise. The radio is off, the gauges look fine. I can't figure it out so I just keep driving. Finally it goes off. Ahhhh, thank goodness I was thinking. I exit the freeway and start down the main road in town. I stop at a stop light and there is the noise again. I am looking around. I realize that everyone is looking at me. SHIT! There I was, trying to stay calm and cool...........I slowly raise up my hand to roll the window down and confirm my feeling that everyone else can hear this noise too. CRAP!
So I just look ahead and pretend I don't hear anything.
Oh yeah, you heard me right! That was the best thing I could figure out to do!
What would you do?!
Finally after what seems like forever it goes off.
I decide I better call the doc and ask him about this mysterious noise.
Just as the phone rings and he answers it all comes together with the discovery of a button of the floor that my long legged foot had been resting on..........
The siren to clear the road for when he is responding to a fire.
So not only did I embarrass myself being such a bonehead blaring his siren as I leisurely drive down the road but now he knows what happened too!
I can only hope that he didn't laugh at me all day long.
Go ahead, laugh, I can take it.


3 comments:

Shirley said...

LOL! I can just picture you nonchalantly driving with the siren blaring....
Sounds like you are enjoying being back to work. Hope that 2010 is a great year for you and your family.

Mikey said...

LMAO!!! Oh girl.. that's too funny!!

Janice said...

I just read all your posts, I got a few chuckles I think I will have to follow along. Have a great New Year.