Thursday, February 19, 2009

Some of the girls.

Okay, so I didn't get any cool horse pictures today......I had serious business to attend to. I mean really, the truck is not going to unload itself and the two Angels food cakes Sage and I had to make wasn't going to make themselves! And tommorrow I am off to wrangle sheep and goats. Lucky me! So instead hopefully this will hold you all over until I can take some pictures of the horses here in training. We have quite an interesting bunch right now too.
Here are some of our cows.Whenever there is bad weather they come around begging for a meal.
This is one of our original cows from when we started our herd. I call her Horny. Notice I said I call her that. The other half around here wouldn't dream of naming them.

This is a cow that is about two years old now. Jeremy loves her, I think she is rangy and kind of ugly. I just asked Jeremy who her mother is and he said her mother is Horny, funny huh? He remembers all of them.

This is, are you ready for this one? Herfy. Get it Herfy cause she is hereford! I kill me! We bought her at the Lancaster Sales Yard a million years ago at the same time we bought a yearling paint filly we called Annie. It was just before we bought the rest of the original herd. She has had several pretty nice calves.

This cow is a couple years old at least. She was a tiny calf when we moved the cows to this pasture from Tehachapi. We had already moved here and had planned on moving the cows eventually and keeping the pasture in Tehachapi for the horses. We got a call one day in July saying from the gal that had been watering the cattle saying it was on fire. I could hardly understand her she was so hysterical. Jeremy and I had been gathering cattle out by Neenach for Centennial and I was just finishing tying my horse up in the trailer. Which also meant we were a solid hour away from our pasture in Tehachapi with a empty tank of gas and not a single gas station between the two places. Sage was at Nana's in Tehachapi (I was about five months pregnant with Steele) so I was sure to answer the phone in case it was her. We hurried and put some diesel from the ranch tank in the truck and got up there as fast as we could to see what we could do. I had told the gal that called, since she was screaming at me "I don't know what to do" over and over again. Just cut the fence, open the gates, whatever you can and get out of the way so they can fight it. Of course we finally get up there and all we could do is park a couple miles down the road and wait. The smoke was so thick you couldn't even see anything. And of course they had the road blocked off. The worst thing we could do is get in the way and risk our lives. We just hoped and prayed they animals got our of the way of the flames. We did have some friends in a jeep that had gotten up on the other side and told us they saw some of the cows but we didn't know where my little mustang mare was. Our pasture was near the windmill company in Tehachapi that Jeremy used to work for. Thankfully one of the road maintence guys came along and was able to take Jeremy up and see if he could find my horse. The Morantes' also run cattle up that way so they were there with a trailer so when Jeremy finally located Cheyenne, and get her caught up (several miles from where the pasture was) they hauled her down to me. I cried and cried. Damn it, I didn't know I liked her so much. Plus I was pregnant so I guess I was extra emotional. Not to mention we didn't know if we had lost any animals yet. In the end (since this has become quite a longer story than I intended) it took us several days but we got everything caught up and moved. Only a couple of the cows had melted ear tags and whiskers.


No comments: