Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Loading wood

Today the kids and I spent the day loading wood over in Oak Creek. Last year the White fire ripped through the canyon killing tons of Oak and pine trees. As well as leveling quite a few cabins. They say the fire was started by dirtbikers. Lovely. That was just about two weeks after we had picked up Ojos, the mustang Jeremy trained for the Mustang Makeover. Barely halter broke we had to load him in a trailer to evacuate. Along with 30 other horses. That was a scary night, taking pictures off the wall, the driving wind and sand. Friends just showing up because they knew the fire was close and they just wanted to help if they could. I can't even begin to express our gratitude after that deal. It usually takes over an hour for a person with a trailer to get here, if they are coming from the closest town. Within and hour of making the phone calls saying that we thought it would be a good idea to get out we had eight trucks and trailers lined up in our driveway. We sure love all of our wonderful friends! Along with Ojos, we had four 2yr. old stud colts that were not halter broke. Several old half crippled horses and ponies. I think we had eight training horses at that time and my sweet stud muffin Cody. You would have thought on a dark, windy night watching the mountain glowing red it would have been chaos loading horses left and right. That couldn't have been further from how it happened. Everyone worked very well together loading who they were assigned to and taking them either to their home or where they needed to be. Not a one animal got hurt or loose. Oh my have I gotten off track! My point was............there is tons of wood that the fireman had cut and stacked and we just need to pick it up and split it. So that is what the kids, some more wonderful friends and I did today. We hauled four truck loads of wood. That sure should keep us warm this winter! It is a beautiful drive over the mountain to the canyon where the wood was. Several miles up and over the mountain. We got to see our cattle out basking in the sun and the calves playing. They better soak it all up cause I hear we are in for some snow soon. Further up the mountain we saw the fatest bobcat. He was so cute! You could see him flipping his nub of a tail. I think he was mad we spoiled his hunt. I tried to take a picture with my phone an now I can't figure out how to get the picture out of my phone. Does anyone know how to get a picture from a razr phone to my email?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

open the picture, choose options send by email and put in your email address. click to check it and then hit send. done.. or should I say Dunn... Elizabeth Bridwell