Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Hauling bulls






So we have been needing to replace our bull. Especially since he has gotten quite hooky when we are trying to work them. Jeremy worked his training horses all day yesterday while the kids and I did some much needed grocery shopping. Later in the day Jeremy and his trusty pup Kate (I will have to tell her story some other time) gathered the cattle. Jeremy has gotten used to doing things on his own since we don't always have a babysitter on the ready at a moments notice. The price you pay when your 25 miles from town, 7 1/2 miles of it on a dirt road. My portion of the job came today, driving 55 miles to Acton to pick up another bull and hauling everyone to Chino which it about an hour and a half from Acton. I decided I just did not want to take the kids with me for a total of five hours in the truck. Call me a wuss, go ahead. I was beginning to think I should just completely wuss out and stay home when my day started out when I smashed my little finger leaving a bruise clear through my nail. UGH. Okay okay I can deal. So I arrive at the last gate leaving the property when I see Moose, Sage's trusty dumped off on us dog. Damn thing ran 2 miles chasing the trailer. I guess he has nightmares of being left behind again..........so I have no choice but to throw him in the truck and take him with us. Which would have been fine if he could have behaved himself! So I arrive at Opal's to drop off the kids and I roll the window down a few inches to make sure the mangy mutt has some air. That being my second mistake. Cute little Lexi wants to see what I have in the trailer (they live in town) so as I am carrying her to the trailer I see Moose, stuck hanging half in, half out of the truck flopping all about. Oh crap! Can you imagine poor Lexi's face? I am checking all my pockets for the keys since I can't free him without getting bit. Of course, in my excitement to show Lexi the bulls in the trailer I had set the keys down in the house! Argh! I finally get the keys, all the while Moose is screaming his fool head off. I cram them in the ignition and hurry to put the window down forgetting to catch stupid Moose. He crashed in a thud but was no worse for the wear apparentley since he ran straight for Sage. I get him caught up and chuck him back into the truck only to discover the ragged little son-of-a-you know what expressed his anal glands all over the truck in all his panic. If you have never smelt anal glands please avoid it at all costs! It is RANK! Just remeber this, baby wipes work for everything. I don't think we helped him any with his anxiety issues today. With Moose rescued and the kids happily tucked away at Opal's I get back on the road heading for Sallie's (my stand in Mom) to pick up the other bull. We were culling them all! Thankfully the loading went well and we were on the road in no time with their godzilla bull. We got everyone dropped off without further incident thankfully.

No comments: